Monday, May 15, 2006

Flats Night: Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8 AF DX Fisheye Review

After careful consideration, I thought I needed one more lens for my arsenal. I needed something outside the normal feild of view. Macro was my first choice, but shooting relatively still objects can get monotonous. I went with the new DX format 10.5mm f/2.8 AF Nikkor-Fisheye. This lens is a whole lot of fun packed in the tinniest piece of glass i've seen. If focuses very fast and accurate, mainly because its depth of field is so great. It has a 180 degree field of veiw. This is one thing that takes getting used to. When positioned in portrait, it is almost impossible not to get your elbow or feet in the photo. Its that wide! This is not a normal circular fisheye. It focuses as close as 1.5 inches from the front element. You really have to be careful when looking through the veiwfinder. You can easily hit something with the lens because you look so far away. I usually just hold the camera below me. You can't miss the picture with 180 degree angle. If you're considering it, its worth every bit of $600. But don't get me wrong, its takes getting used to. I took over 400 shots in 2 days just with this lens.
This is one of the photos fishing for Tarpon at night with Aaron Snell. Don't try this at home! I took this going about 35mph standing on the bow of the boat. The effect created from the fisheye is like none other. Nikon D200 Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8 DX ISO 1600 @ 2.2 seconds with slow rear sync SB-600 flash.

No comments: